Sunday, April 29, 2007

the gift of another life

My 21st birthday wasn't at all that big of a deal. I woke up yesterday at about ten in the morning knowing I'm already 21 and that it's no reason for a big celebration. When you think about it, birthdays are supposed to remind you to count all the blessing you have been receiving and to thank God for it. The celebrating comes a year after, before your next birthday, when you look back and see all the wonderful things you accomplished and realize that you have lived the year meaningfully. That, for me, is the real essence of birthdays.



Before I look forward to my 21st year, there are plenty of things about my 20th year that I have to thank God for. I finished the summer class and the entire school year with flying colors, I had the chance to be of service to other students (though that one was short lived and I must say not much of a success), I passed the Civil Service Exam, I'm having a baby with a wonderful, wonderful partner, I never lost anyone I love, I found peace in getting acquainted with my true self, and with that I learned a lot of things about life and I am somehow enlightened, I don't ask unanswerable questions, rather I am more accepting of how difficult life can be, of how it is in its true sense. I pray to never lose strength and to not forget all the things I have learned. I pray for a fruitful 21st year, and I'm looking forward to celebrating it before I turn 22.

No comments: